Dr Taravat Ostovar, PsyD is an Intern Psychologist, R. Psych and a Certified Clinical Therapist, CCC. Dr Ostovar has lived and worked in the Arctic and the North in the past 12 years. She holds a Doctoral degree in Psychology with 16 years of education, training and work experiences in various counselling, hospital, teaching, research, consulting and community settings in both Northern and Southern Canada. She has worked with multidisciplinary teams, schools and organizations for a wide range of mental health assessments, therapeutic interventions and treatments, group and parental workshops and personations, and clinical case consultations.
Dr Ostovar is a strong believer that everyone has an inherent ability to thrive, heal and grow, regardless of the illness and life challenges. She believes that people are worthy and have the capacity and inner resources to grow and change towards their higher purpose. She is skilled in working collaboratively with children, adolescents, adults, couples, and families, and has experience with a wide range of concerns and psychosocial conditions. Her approach is wholistic, evidence-based, compassionate and based on creating and maintaining a calm, supportive, respectful and safe environment and drawing on a variety of therapeutic approaches to best suit each individual's/ couple's needs. These approaches offer clients the opportunity to explore their emotions, thoughts, actions, and new ways of being and doing. Dr Ostovar welcomes clients from all cultures, ethnicities, religious and spiritual beliefs, gender identities and sexual orientations.
In her spare time, Dr Ostovar is either coordinating Ruhi educational Institute training courses or facilitating youth training and junior youth spiritual program in Yellowknife focused on empowering the youth to become active agents of change in their community, or she is enjoying spiritual, mental and physical wellness activities, being in the nature and spending quality time with her family and friends.
Education and Qualifications
- Degree: California Southern University /Doctor of Psychology
- Degree: McGill University/ Master of Science in Psychiatry
- Degree: University of British Columbia/Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Gottman level 1 and 2 training for marriage and couple therapy
- Psychological Assessment
- Trauma and Attachment focused therapy
- Mindfulness and Stress reduction focused therapy
- Certified in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) psychotherapy
- Certified in Mental Health First Aid Training
- Certified in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Brief Dialectic Behaviour Therapy
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD)
- Children Play therapy
- Emotionally focused therapy
- Logotherapy and positive psychology